Amrit S. Kulkarni
Amrit Kulkarni heads the firm’s Land Use Practice Group and also co-chairs the Transportation and Infrastructure Practice Group. He focuses on all aspects of land use and environmental law, having represented public entities and private clients in numerous matters and cases involving the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), the State Planning and Zoning Law, the Coastal Act, the Tidelands Trust, the Subdivision Map Act, the Cortese-Knox-Hertzberg Act, the Mitigation Fee Act, the Clean Water Act and civil rights claims in the land use context.
Amrit specializes in representing clients in connection with large-scale public infrastructure, transportation and development projects throughout California, including the Port of Los Angeles on multiple entitlement processes and CEQA challenges to various container terminal projects; the Los Angeles World Airports on multiple CEQA challenges to the approval of a major expansion of the Los Angeles International Airport; the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority on a CEQA challenge to the extension of Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) from Fremont to Santa Clara; the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power on numerous CEQA and water rights matters; and the University of California on challenges to multiple campus expansion projects. Amrit also has substantial experience obtaining and defending land use entitlements for major commercial development projects.
The Daily Journal recently named Amrit a “Top 20 Under 40” lawyer and one of the top 25 “Land-Use Leaders” in California. And The Recorder named Amrit’s Land Use and Environmental law team to their top 10 “Leading Environmental Practices” List for 2012.
- Community Water Coalition v. Santa Cruz County Local Agency Formation Commission (2011) 200 Cal.App.4th 1317
- Las Lomas Land Company, LLC v. City of Los Angeles (2009) 177 Cal. App. 4th 837
- Ailanto v. City of Half Moon Bay (2006) 142 Cal.App.4th 572
- City of Goleta v. Superior Court (2006) 40 Cal.4th 270
- Northern California River Watch v. City of Healdsburg (2006) 457 F.3d 1023
- City of Half Moon Bay v. Superior Court (2003) 106 Cal.App.4th 795
- Berkeley Keep Jets Over the Bay Committee v. Board of Port Commissioners (2001) 91 Cal.App.4th 1344
Honors and Awards
- Recipient, Northern California Super Lawyer, 2012
- Recipient, “Top 20 Under 40 Lawyers,” Daily Journal, 2011
- Recipient, “Top 25 Land-Use Leaders,” Daily Journal, 2011
Presentations and Publications
- Speaker, “How Far Does CEQA Go? Port-Related Impacts do not Extend to the Inland Empire,” Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA) Lunch Program, 2011
- Moderator, “Climate Change and the San Francisco Bay Area,” San Francisco Bay Area Development and Conservation Commission (BCDC), 2011
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Member, The State Bar of California
- Member, The State Bar of California, Environmental Law Section
- Member, Airports Council International
- Northwestern School of Law of Lewis and Clark College, JD, 1998
- University of California at Santa Cruz, BA, Environmental Studies and Policy & Planning, 1994